Glasshouse Country
© Bob Waldock
Click on an image for more                  information.
Peachester   is   an   elevated   rural   village   on   the   eastern   slopes   of   the   Conondale Range,   25   km   west   of   Caloundra.   The   Stanley   River   has   a   U-shaped   course through    Peachester,    flowing    east    and    then    west    until    emptying    into    Lake Somerset.   It   is   thought   that   Peachester   was   named   after   the   peach   trees   found growing   beside   a   crossing   on   the   Stanley   River.   The   name   was   given   when   a town was surveyed at the crossing in 1888. A   year   after   the   town   survey   a   public   hall   was   built,   and   in   1892   the   Peachester School   started   in   the   hall.   There   was   ample   unfelled   timber   to   supply   Grigor's sawmill   (1899)   and   a   case   factory   for   fruit   growers   in   the   1920s   and   the   post World   War   II   years.   Dairying,   however,   was   the   main   farm   industry,   and   three- quarters   of   the   50   or   more   farms   listed   in   the   post   office   directory   in   1949   were dairy. Most of the others were fruit growers. Peachester   Public   Dip   is   a   concrete   formed   cattle   dip   framed   with   slab   posts   and a   sawn   timber   roof   clad   in   corrugated   iron   sheeting.   It   dates   from   1915   when   it replaced   an   earlier   timber   dip   built   by   Landsborough   Shire   Council   on   the   site, which   had   been   reserved   as   a   Stock   Dip   Reserve   in   November   1910.   These dips   were   erected   in   response   to   the   spread   of   cattle   tick   into   Queensland   which threatened   the   cattle   industry   throughout   the   State   and   dairying   in   south-east Queensland. Between   the   1930s   and   1950s   Peachester   was   well-known   as   the   home   of   Inigo Jones,   the   famous   long-range   weather   forecaster.   Jones'   family   settled   just   north of    Peachester    in    1892,    at    Crohamhurst,    and    Jones    opened    his    weather observatory in 1935. He worked there until his death in 1954. During   the   1970's   a   number   of   dairy   farms   were   sold   up   and   in   many   cases turned   over   to   rural/residential   living.   Peachester   has   a   general   store,   a   Uniting Church   (the   Church   of   England   was   lost   in   a   cyclone   in   1963),   two   recreation reserves,   a   public   hall   and   a   primary   school.   Its   cemetery   is   north   of   the   Stanley River, in Crohamhurst.

About Peachester

Glasshouse Country

About Peachester

Peachester  

is  

an  

elevated  

rural  

village  

on  

the  

eastern  

slopes

of   

the   

Conondale   

Range,   

25   

km   

west   

of   

Caloundra.   

The

Stanley  

River  

has  

a  

U-shaped  

course  

through  

Peachester,

flowing  

east  

and  

then  

west  

until  

emptying  

into  

Lake  

Somerset.

It  

is  

thought  

that  

Peachester  

was  

named  

after  

the  

peach  

trees

found  

growing  

beside  

a  

crossing  

on  

the  

Stanley  

River.  

The

name  

was  

given  

when  

a  

town  

was  

surveyed  

at  

the  

crossing  

in

1888.

A  

year  

after  

the  

town  

survey  

a  

public  

hall  

was  

built,  

and  

in

1892  

the  

Peachester  

School  

started  

in  

the  

hall.  

There  

was

ample  

unfelled  

timber  

to  

supply  

Grigor's  

sawmill  

(1899)  

and  

a

case  

factory  

for  

fruit  

growers  

in  

the  

1920s  

and  

the  

post  

World

War  

II  

years.  

Dairying,  

however,  

was  

the  

main  

farm  

industry,

and  

three-quarters  

of  

the  

50  

or  

more  

farms  

listed  

in  

the  

post

office  

directory  

in  

1949  

were  

dairy.  

Most  

of  

the  

others  

were

fruit growers.

Peachester  

Public  

Dip  

is  

a  

concrete  

formed  

cattle  

dip  

framed

with  

slab  

posts  

and  

a  

sawn  

timber  

roof  

clad  

in  

corrugated  

iron

sheeting.  

It  

dates  

from  

1915  

when  

it  

replaced  

an  

earlier  

timber

dip  

built  

by  

Landsborough  

Shire  

Council  

on  

the  

site,  

which

had   

been   

reserved   

as   

a   

Stock   

Dip   

Reserve   

in   

November

1910.  

These  

dips  

were  

erected  

in  

response  

to  

the  

spread  

of

cattle   

tick   

into   

Queensland   

which   

threatened   

the   

cattle

industry   

throughout   

the   

State   

and   

dairying   

in   

south-east

Queensland.

Between  

the  

1930s  

and  

1950s  

Peachester  

was  

well-known  

as

the   

home   

of   

Inigo   

Jones,   

the   

famous   

long-range   

weather

forecaster.  

Jones'  

family  

settled  

just  

north  

of  

Peachester  

in

1892,   

at   

Crohamhurst,   

and   

Jones   

opened   

his   

weather

observatory in 1935. He worked there until his death in 1954.

During  

the  

1970's  

a  

number  

of  

dairy  

farms  

were  

sold  

up  

and  

in

many  

cases  

turned  

over  

to  

rural/residential  

living.  

Peachester

has  

a  

general  

store,  

a  

Uniting  

Church  

(the  

Church  

of  

England

was  

lost  

in  

a  

cyclone  

in  

1963),  

two  

recreation  

reserves,  

a

public  

hall  

and  

a  

primary  

school.  

Its  

cemetery  

is  

north  

of  

the

Stanley River, in Crohamhurst.