Beerwah, a rural town on the North Coast railway line, is 70 km north of central Brisbane. It is named after Mount Beerwah, the tallest of several volcanic plugs comprising the Glass House Mountains. The mount is in a national park of 245 hectares, 8 km south-west of the town. The name is believed to be that of the Aboriginal mother in a legend told of the peaks comprising the Glass House Mountains. Mount Tibrogargan signifies the legendary father. The name Beerwah comes from the Kabi language (Turrbal dialect) word birrawaman, with birra meaning sky and wandum meaning climbing up. The Beerwah Post Office opened by August 1907; a receiving office had been open from 1891. The Coochin Creek Provisional School opened in November 1888, becoming Coochin Creek State School on 1 January 1909. In about November 1928, it was renamed Beerwah State School. On 10 July 1952, another Coochin Creek State School opened, but it closed on 11 March 1962. Beerwah State High School opened on 1 January 1992 Beerwah is situated on Coochin Creek, one of several streams that flow from the Glass House Mountains into the Pumicestone Channel. European settlement began around where Peachester Road crosses the creek. The Coochin Creek School (1888), the nearby church (1916-57) and the Coochin Creek Hotel, on Old Gympie Road, in the direction of Mt Coochin, were the main features. The North Coast railway (1890) shifted the focus of settlement eastwards where there were a sawmill (1901) and a hotel (1914, replaced by a super market). Motoring levels along the road known as the Bruce Highway, which later became the Glass House Mountains Tourist Road, confirmed the change. Soldier settlement farms were established after World War I. The post office directory of 1924 recorded 25 farmers and selectors, seven fruit-growers and two poultry farmers. Timber production was important, employing four teamsters to bring logs to the sawmill. There were also two storekeepers, two butchers, a newsagent and a blacksmith and the Coochin Creek Fruit Growers' Cooperative had the local cool store. Beerwah was a farming and timber community until the 1980's when residential development quickly grew. Beerwah High School (1992) and Glass House Country Christian College (2000) signified Beerwah's role as a significant town in the Caloundra hinterland. Its public profile was raised by the opening of Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo and the attendant publicity of his infamous stunts with crocodiles. Sadly, Irwin was killed in 2006 by a stingray while filming a documentary at Port Douglas. In the same year, the main road next to Australia Zoo was renamed the Steve Irwin Way in his honour, and the following year a bronze statue of Irwin was unveiled at the zoo. Beerwah has a drive-in shopping centre (Turner Park), a Progress Association, a community hall, a sports ground with a youth activities centre, a golf course, a swimming pool, a hotel and a motel. The Glass House Visitor Information Centre, just off Steve Irwin Way at Beerwah, opened in 2009.